Fantasy | Single-Player | 3D | Resource Management Sim
DwarfCorp is Dwarf Fortress meets Minecraft meets Dungeon Keeper. Lead a colony of capitalist Dwarves to profit and conquest. It features mining and resource management, building, magical research, farming, and combat. And it’s completely open source!
After seven years in development I was brought on to the small team to tie up loose ends and lead them in shipping the game.
- Design – Collaborated and finalized design vision, wrote GDDs, and finalized those into a set feature list for shipping. Concepted or revised design on pretty much everything: magic, pathing, crafting, task manager, hunting, UI, AI, digging, accessibility features, and general systems design.
- Narrative – Designed narrative system based off of resource management systems and diplomacy system, helped implement Yarn, and concepted intro stories. You can read a narrative design document from the project here.
- Production/Project Management – Scheduled and ran sprints, set release date, burn rate tracking through github, and secured an advertising partnership with MassDigi
- QA – Logged 318 bugs, regressed 500+ bugs, tracked performance profiling and testing which lead to the project being playable on low and mid-spec machines (instead of just high spec machines), design test scripts for dev and shipping, soak tests, and debugging
- Community Management – Moderated bug and feedback forums on Steam, Discord, and Github
March 2018 – December 2018